Many of you have asked how I made the chocolate covered Oreos. Well, here you go:
First I purchased Oreos, chocolate and the molds at our local Bakery supply shop.
1. Cookie Molds and Star Molds
2. 1lb. white chocolate and 1lb. milk chocolate. Plus a small bag of red and blue for the stars.
3. One bag of Oreos
4. I bought cupcake wrapper because I thought the Oreos would look cute in them to display that the 4th of July BBQ.
All of the above items costs: $21 and made 30 cookies
The next few steps I didn't take photos of because I had to work quickly pouring the warm chocolate and freezing. But - the melting of the chocolate is the most important step.
You want the chocolate to be warm, not hot. A double boiler is recommended, if you don't have one...like me, use two pots...one larger than the other. Place warm/hot water in the bottom pot and chocolate in the top pot. Let the chocolate melt...keeping the bottom water warm/hot. DO NOT BOIL the water. Stir if needed. The water in the bottom pot should stay warm - keeping the top pot of chocolate a smooth consistency. It should never harden or get clumpy. Once my water was hot, I set it to "keep warm" on my stovetop. This worked great. If you don't have a "keep warm" setting, just the lowest setting should be fine.
Pour each mold 1/2 way, drop in cookie. Press the cookie down until it's almost hitting the bottom. Cover the rest with more chocolate. Once you are done pouring the warm chocolate in the molds...place in the freeze for about 10-15 minutes. When they come out of the freezer, you should be able to flip them upside down and each will fall out of the molds. If not, they aren't ready. But remember to not OVER freeze. Set a timer if you need to. I let mine sit on wax paper until I was ready to add the chocolate stars.
After the cookies are out of the freezer, you should leave them at room temperature until you're ready to eat them. No additional refrigeration is needed.
For the stars, I followed the same process. I used a bit of warm chocolate as "glue" to keep the small stars on top of each cookie. I popped them back in the freezer for a quick hardening and voila. Done.
I didn't use any special tools for pouring the chocolate. I used one of IV's baby spoons to spoon the chocolate into the stars seeing they are smaller...I used a regular teaspoon for the cookies.
Enjoy!
Feel free to email me with any questions!




Definitely going to do this for my next party. I totally forgot about using molds when working with the chocolate melts. Thanks for the tips...happy 4th!
ReplyDelete