Wednesday, July 24, 2013

DIY Playdough: Messy, yet fun.





I'm always looking for new things to do with IV and at our last Toddler Art class he showed a lot of interest in the playdough they had out.

So I found a recipe to make our own. I wanted to make it instead of buying it for a few reasons.

1. IV loves to help cook, bake or just hang around while I'm in the kitchen.

2. I love trying to new projects.

3. Learn, learn, learn. Our toddlers brain is like a sponge.

4. Each night before IV goes to bed, I tell him what I have planned for the next day. He absolutely lights up when I tell him about a trip we are going on, a class we are attending, someone we plan to see or whatever. So last night I knew he'd get excited about baking/crafts/colors.

What you'll need:

1 cup flour
1 cup warm water
2 tbsp cooking oil
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp cream of tartar
1 pack of 3oz Jello

Choosing which color to do first















Mix all the ingredients in a bowl or pot then place on the stove. Stir over medium heat. Once it forms into a ball, place on a floured cutting board to cool. Cooling takes about 20-30 minutes. After it cools, kneed with flour until you have the right consistency. 



The fun begins


We had plenty of other colors, as you can see...but to be honest - 3 was plenty. Once these get full of food crumbs, dog hair and whatever else IV puts in them...we'll make a new batch. 

Super fun, messy and lots of learning. Just how I like our activities. 

*********************************************************************************

And...as a bonus: 

After we cleaned up the kitchen, we went outside for a walk around the neighborhood, checked the mail and played on the front porch. Seeing I had my big girl camera out - I snapped a few pictures of my boy who just so happens to be a BIRTHDAY BOY today.

 Happy 27 Months, sweet boy! 



27 Months Old

2 comments :

  1. Homemade playdough is so much fun! Three colors is plenty, especially when you pick the primaries. If you make them again, try adding some essential oils for an extra sensory experience (we love lavender around here).

    Cloud dough and oobleck are pretty awesome and easy to make as well. Though don't use baby oil for the cloud dough like some suggest, the smell is overpowering.

    ReplyDelete