Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Flying with a 12 month old

So as you all know - I was nervous about our flight to Florida. That's how I am though. I get nervous about stuff like that. Stew and I love to travel and have been on flights with crying babies. Not fun. I didn't want to be that parent. I also didn't want to be that couple walking through the airport struggling with strollers and pack n' plays...all while holding their screaming child. Nut-ah. Not me.

IV naps at 10am and 3pm every day. So our flight down was for 10:40. I figured that the extra 40 minutes wouldn't be a huge deal and it was way better than the 6am flight.



We boarded the plane and got him into his car seat. We waved bye to all the planes on the run way and I gave him some milk and a snack for take off to help with the pressure in the cabin. By the time his snack was done, his eyes started getting heavy and he was out.




Well, of course I was still nervous. I'm thinking - "What if he only sleeps for 10 minutes - then is in a horrible mood?" So I ordered a Bloody Mary, like I said I would...and I didn't even get a dirty look (not that I thought I would).



After an hour and half nap, IV woke up and was fine. We watched Sesame Street on the iPad and ate more snacks. Done. We landed. Phew!

The flight home went exactly the same way. We booked that flight during his afternoon nap...but same thing - 1.5 hour nap and snacks galore. 

That would be my advice - snacks and drinks to help with any pressure and if you know when your child normally naps, take the flight during that time - oh, and get yourself a Bloody Mary! We deserve it. 

Thank you all for your kind words prior to us leaving on vacation! 

5 comments :

  1. Yeah for a great flight! We prefer the train over flying lately (because we have the time, the tickets cost WAY less, and the trip is part of the adventure instead of the torture to suffer before the fun). Emma and I flew to NH last March and she was really excited for her "first" flight. She was a little surprised when I told her it was probable closer to her 8th or 9th flight. We use to fly from AZ to NH or IA on a pretty regular basis to visit family and she always did really well.
    Now that the first flight is under IV's belt, the sky really is the limit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha LOVE the pictures!! Hate bloody Mary's but will remember a vodka and coke wen we fly for the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it went well! Our best flights have been when we could bring their car seats in the plane....but now we hate paying for it! The girls have never slept on the plane unless they were nursing or in their car seats! I just wish there was a "child fare" because we'd go broke buying seats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to always think the worst, and hope for the best...seems to work great! Braden always does so much better than I expect him too...which makes it a lot easier! Way to go Stew!

    ReplyDelete