I mentioned that I had girls night on Saturday. It was a mix of women. Some are single, engaged and married. Some married for 10 years, some for 1 year. One has a 12 year old and there are two of us that have a 5 month old.
I was asked something to the affect of "Is Stew really bad at babysitting?"
To be completely honest, I was taken back and insulted by the question.
First, a Father should not be "babysitting" their own child.
Second, why would he be "bad" at anything having to do with his Son?
I think in the midst of my shock and overwhelming feeling of my face getting red...I responded with "no...not at all."
She said "Does he get it? or is he not into it?"
Really?
Again, why would he NOT be "into" it. Into his Son? Of course he's into his son.
In her defense, she does have a brother-in-law that "isn't into it" and simply had children without really wanting to start a family.
But let me step up on my soapbox here for a minute - if my Husband ever acted like he wasn't into our son or ever gave me the impression that he wasn't capable of taking care of him, well frankly - he wouldn't be my Husband. That's not me. That's not us. We are a team...a really, really good one. We work in harmony like a 50 person marching band around here. It's seamless. It's enjoyable. Our "chores" are split 50/50. Do I do a little more because I'm type A? yes but that's my own fault. And yes, do I see my Husband struggle some days trying to get IV dressed...for sure. But that's what makes him Dad and me Mom. Plus, it's adorable when I waking into IV's bedroom and he has one arm stuck in his shirt and Stew is beading sweat from his brow.
So yes, Stew is more than capable of taking care of IV. Starting a family was a joint decision, like a lot of things in our marriage. It gives a healthy balance and that is something I hope to teach IV in the years to come.
It always irks me when its referred to as babysitting. If I have my child all day am I babysitting? No, I'm just, um, living. LOL.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it cute when the guys struggle dressing them...just a little? :) HA!
ReplyDeleteI love this post. Especially this line, "But that's what makes him Dad and me Mom." I 'll admit, I struggle some days when my husband has a hard time putting C down to sleep (C is a Momma's Boy to the nth degree and is just set in his ways).. or when he watches him for me on a Saturday morning and forgets to change him into his playclothes.. or.. give him juice WITH water rather than just straight one way or the other. But what you said is exactly right. He is DAD. I am MOM. That's why. And I need to be a little more patient with him and let go of some of my Type A-ness. Thanks for this post :)
ReplyDeleteAmen, sister! Sadly one of my BIL's is like this with his sweet daughter and twin baby boys. So not into it and CANNOT/will not take care of them. He has rarely been left alone with his daughter, never alone with his twins for a minute, and certainly cannot handle taking care of all three of them. I would not be married to a man like that, but that's just my opinion!
ReplyDeleteAnd yes...Dads do NOT babysit...they take care of their children just as Moms do.